Sunday, July 8, 2012

Drawing The Dragon

One of my hobbies, if you can call it that, is being a pen-pal to prisoners.   "Hobby" is not a good word, but most of the other ones that I can think of imply amateur social worker or condescending do-gooder.  The correspondence works best when you take your prisoner as he is and show some empathy.  That doesn't mean that you can't, or shouldn't, stand up for your own ethics.  Prisoners appreciate a "freeworlder" acknowledging their humanity.  Some are estranged from their families.  They have time on their hands and are quick to write back.

My prison pen pals know that I'm a Tail of the Dragon freak.  One of them sent me this drawing.  A gift like this is precious: an individualized statement of human connection.  When he was "freeworld" (which he will not be again for a long time), this prisoner rode a Harley.  The Dragon is full of Harleys in the summer.  So he can "...like...relate."

If I can do those 318 turns better, I might "Rid" the Dragon from my own back: master it.  In my own "cage" (biker slang for a car).  This drawing abounds with little implied ironies.  So I treasure it--and the misspelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment