Friday, July 6, 2012

Bad Attitude

A friend invited me to Supercar Saturday a couple of days ago.  "Fine," I said.  Later I looked at the website.  The event is pretty much "show what ya brung."  Over the past few years, it has been sprinkled with Lambos and Ferraris (and maybe some other exotics; I didn't review all the pictures).  But most of the cars are street rods, 1960's muscle cars, Corvettes, Roush Mustangs, Mitsu Evos, Subie WRX's, etc.

 Today we consulted the weather: "90 degrees, feels like 94"--at 9.a.m.!  I'm not gonna drag my butt through that kind of heat to look at stuff I could see on a cruise night.

Speaking of which, just about every town hereabouts and beyond has a weekly cruise night.  Even if you go to different towns months apart, you see (what seems like) half the cars you saw before, again.  Now, I guess, we can see some of them, or their brothers and sisters, again, again, again, at our version of "cars and coffee" on Saturday mornings.

There was a time, say 20 years ago, that I would have driven a fair distance to see a clean and mostly original Goat.  Or a Road Runner.  Or a Lambo, or a 360 Modena.  But two years ago I found myself yawning at a British Car Show.  It had an admittedly nice selection of Jags, Austin Healeys, Lotuses, and Minis--and a sprinkling of truly rare cars, like a TVR or two, and even a Bentley Le Mans Replica.

The Collier Museum in Naples and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum have spoiled me.  Either is worth visiting--again (and again)--if you are in town.  But I'm about done with cruise nights.  And don't drag me into the broiling sun to see a Lambo unless it's a Miura (which it won't be).  I saw more interesting, and rare, cars at a vintage sports car race a few weeks ago than you can see at these "show and shine" events.

No comments:

Post a Comment