Saturday, January 24, 2015

Saved From The Crusher (The Wheeler Dealer Porsche 993)


The last air-cooled 911 had a fatter butt than its predecessors, but it was still lithe: not the wide load that current 911's are.
Teal doesn't work for me on a 911, although I recall liking it on a Honda Accord, and it seemed like just about all the
manufacturers had some variation of it in the  '80's and 90's.  The blue tint of the interior with the sunroof closed is
a bit creepy.  Maybe Porsche could have specified grey tint instead? 


A better view of the roof.  Porsche called this model a "Targa." That was news to me: I thought only the earlier models
with a basket-handle hoop behind the front seats and a removable roof panel were called Targas.


The thing that appealed most to me about the teal Wheeler Dealer car was its glass roof.  I like a sunroof, and I like one that's the entire roof even better.  Yeah, it weighs more than other materials, thus raising the car's center of gravity.  Don't care.

In the Wheeler Dealer episode on this 911, Mike Brewer stressed that it was the most unloved Porsche he'd seen.  The two-piece road wheels were so corroded that they wouldn't have passed an "MOT," the British roadworthiness inspection.  (I was surprised that, brakes aside, the power train and running gear were in fairly good shape.)

I've seen only one 911 in worse condition, back in my Porsche dealership days.  Those were also the days before rust-protection was done at the factory.  It was an early series 911, not more than six years old.  By 1970, it was a rust bucket with a Swiss cheese chassis.  The only thing holding it together, it seemed, were the P O R S C H E side-stripes.  It had been taken in trade and was for sale "As Is--No Warranty."  No takers.  Apparently it was winter-driven and unwashed, with results even worse than the Wheeler Dealer car.  Who treats a car like that, not to mention an expensive sports car?

No comments:

Post a Comment