Saturday, February 9, 2013

Another Reason To Love Honda


I have not received a notice like this in 43 years of car ownership, including 8 new ones (4 domestic, 4 foreign).  I've received "free recall" notifications for 3 cars (1 used), involving mechanical items that were potential mechanical/safety issues.  Granted, recall notices have tightened up since the old Audi "unintended acceleration" days.  (That's in quotes because it was the loafer behind the wheel that was the problem.)

Never have I received an extended warranty or recall notice for a cosmetic item.  My Civic Si is almost 4 years old and shows no signs of a cosmetic issue on the trunk or anywhere else.  It is driven almost daily, in road salt for 4 months of the year.  The car has 35,000 miles on it, and has been flawless so far.  Not to mention bringing a smile to my face every time I turn the key.  Mazda (and others) could go to school with Honda on "zoom, zoom."

A gearhead pal and I often discuss questions of national and nameplate loyalty, design and manufacturing engineering, assembly fit-and-finish, and customer service at dealerships.  For the sake of conversation, the debate will continue.  But in my own experience (Volkswagen, Ford, Mazda), nobody does it better than Honda.

No comments:

Post a Comment