Saturday, August 18, 2012

My First (And Last) Bike


1974 Honda CL 360 Scrambler identical to mine.

Although I knew a guy in high school who had a Triumph Tiger Cub, street bikes weren't really on my radar until pollution controls eviscerated car engines in the early 1970's.  Pure chance got me onto two wheels.  I blame the CB radio craze.  A half-dozen of us yakked on our daily commute.  We started meeting for a drink on the way home on Fridays.  One of us was a gal with a Honda 360 Scrambler for sale.  She was moving up to a bigger bike.  I knew that I would not be getting a high-performance car any time soon.  Why not ride?  Open air touring into the bargain!  She rode her bike over to my house; it looked and ran fine.  Money and title were exchanged.

The Scrambler was a thrill to my 25 lbs. per horsepower mindset.  Maybe the bike and I were 16 lbs. per horsepower, all-up.  I learned what sportbike riders know so well: you can just wish it around bends if your entry is right.  I lived near a rural area with lots of twisties.  And a park system with a two-lane road surrounded the metro area.  It was ideal riding: relatively low speeds in low traffic.  A day-trip around the city on that vibrating vertical twin left me with a weary sense of accomplishment and a farmer tan.

But I never really got into riding.  I didn't feel as confident using the bike aggressively as I did behind the wheel (and got nowhere near dragging a knee).  You can't brake a bike as hard as you can a car--at least I couldn't.  I rode in jeans, Dockers, and a t-shirt, and without a helmet when I was on rural roads.  Even an open-face helmet felt hot and claustrophobic.  Despite my non-approach to passive safety, a movie ran in my mind of leaving the bike with painful consequences.

The penultimate deal-breaker was entirely my fault.  That old saying has it wrong: fools are not always protected from their foolishness.  One April, I rode the bike to the upper Shenandoah Valley and back.  700 miles in 5 days, with down time for Civil War battlefield tourism.  It was the most miserable trip I've taken.  Interstates in cold rain at 60 m.p.h., being sprayed by passing 18-wheelers.  Rain-suited riders on Honda 750's with Windjammers and waterproof panniers laughed at me.  150 miles on two-lanes, cold and soggy, with the feeling gone from my hands from the ever-present vibration.  By the time I got to Harrisonburg VA, I was ready to take a limo home.  But the only option was to retrace the idiocy.  After that, I rode the bike less, slower, and only on back roads on summer days.

We moved to Minneapolis.  There was only one twisty road within handy distance.  A bee stung me in the one inch of flesh showing between my helmet and goggles.  It turned out that I was now allergic to bee stings that had only been painful in childhood.  A neighbor, who rode a Harley, lost an argument with a deer on a major highway.  He was not ambulatory when he left the hospital.  The next spring, I was riding a highway when a kid on a dirt bike pulled right out in front of me.  I got around him on the gravel shoulder.  Barely.  I realized that I didn't know how to lay the bike down safely, if I had to.  The messages seemed to be piling up in my in-box.

I  put the Scrambler on its stand, sideways in the front of the garage, and bought my RX-7 a few months later.  "Some day, I should sell that thing."  Later,  my ex got it in the divorce.  Not in the settlement, but because I didn't push it into the U-Haul.  Since then, I've watched sportbikers ride really stupidly on Chicago freeways.  And we don't have a helmet law.  This is one of the least bike-friendly cities I can think of.  Come to think of it, what large metro area is sportbike friendly?

I'm awed by what professional sportbike racers can get out of their machines.  And what a good rider can get out of a sportbike on the Dragon.  A couple of Killboy's shots are on my screen-saver.  But I don't have the attachments.  When he was in college, my son had the same bright idea I'd had: wanna go fast, cheap?  Buy a sportbike!  He was long past the age where I could tell him no.  Instead I reminded him of Newton's First Law: human leaves bike, human meets solid object, human loses.  At least that's how I remember The Law.  To my relief, my son's physics experiments have all been on 4 wheels.

Killboy's caption was "Not sure who has the larger attachments."  I can't DO it, but I know it when I SEE it.

And that is why I slay the Dragon on 4 wheels.  A sportbike is a great slayer if you're a good, confident, lucky, rider.  "Chasing Jay/Multistrada" is useful not only because it shows how to drive the Dragon, but because it shows how to ride it.  Riding a sportbike fast is not just a skill set, it's an art.  But if I wanted to push the envelope, my fantasy ride would be a Caterham 7 with 200 horses.

Street-legal, Dragon-ready, and you can't fall off.  

3 comments:

Watchtower said...

I started riding in 1983 on a Honda CB750F SS.
I stopped riding in 1997 on a Honda CBR600F3.

In between those years I had a number of different bikes but the one thing that remained constant was that everytime I got on one I just couldn't ride them sensibly.

They seemed more like a weapon than transportation.

Every weekend we would meet up at an agreed location and go out looking for that perfect road (which does not exist around here) to basically race on.
I don't know what else you would call it because that is exactlly what we did, we went as hard as we could go till someone either crashed, or it was time to regroup and get a bite to eat.


I'm not talking about drag racing either (although we did our share of that too), I'm talking balls to the wall white knuckle stupidity.

When we would meet up in the morning and some new guy would happen to come out, the first thing that we would do would be to casually walk around the back of the new guy's ride and look at his (or her, although we did'nt have any fast girls in our pack, I hear that they are out there) back tire and see if he had ever leaned the bike over.
If the tire had not been scrubbed all the way across then we knew that we didn't have a player.
However, if it had been, then it was 'game on'.

People were getting hurt, some seriously, but that never stopped us.

I finally got out (sounds like I had an addiction, maybe I did) in 1997.
I don't know if it was because I got older and wiser, or what it was.
My younger self would have called my present day self a 'has been' or a wuss (I wouldn't have said 'wuss' though) that lost his nerve and he would have been right.
But as I get older I find that my pride is able to handle a bit more criticism than it used to.

Even at this stage of my life, and having not ridden in over 15 years I still have dreams at night that I'm riding and nothing has changed.
It's those mornings that I wake up thinking that a fellow my age wouldn't look that bad on a nice older Ducati, but then reality sets in.

Watchtower said...

Oh yeah PA, nice post, it got me to thinking.


Pilote Ancien said...

Nice bikes, Watchtower! (Googled them.)

Am inclined to agree with bikers themselves who say "You're a rider, or you're not." I'm not. But my 66-year-old pal still rides (Honda 750 Nighthawk). He rides near the posted limit, mostly on 2-lanes, and only when the weather is perfect for riding. But he would hate to give it up.
When I walked away, I never looked back.

The Stevenson Expressway in Chicago is 3 lanes each way. On any summer afternoon, you can see sportbike riders pull onto the white lines between bumper-to-bumper 60 m.p.h. traffic and twist the throttle open to pass 2-3 cars. When they have room to run, they run 80+. Thirty percent of them don't wear helmets (my guess). I don't think I felt THAT immortal even when I was 17.

Post a Comment