Friday, November 2, 2012

Ford Festiva Shogun (Jay Leno Garage)

I was only dimly aware of this car when it came out and got lots of ink.  (Can a build of only 7 units "come out?")  My cousin reminded me of it when he introduced me to Chuck Beck.

Leno compared it a Corvette, which is more apt than one would first think: American-made, high-performance, two-seaters costing about the same.  At the time, I probably would have taken the C-4 over a Shogun: significant technical upgrades in a more modern chassis than the C-3, and a good-looking car.  In retrospect, no contest: what a hoot the Shogun is.  Born for twisties.  And engineered, not just swapped.

But I wish Leno wouldn't call its engine donor a "sho."  The old Taurus with the Yamaha engine was called the SHO, for Super High Output.

No comments:

Post a Comment